Ranger SST - CommLink for Android
Please read all the instructions below before downloading the application.
If you have questions or problems, please contact your sales/support representative:
Already familiar with Ranger SST CommLink?
V3.35. March 11, 2019.
- Verify your Android device runs Android V2.2 or higher. On the device, go Home Screen -> Menu Key -> Settings -> About Phone -> Software Information. "Android version"must be 2.2 or higher. Note that the application has been tested on V2.2.1 and V2.3.4.
- Enable "Unknown Sources" in your Application settings. The "Unknown Sources" setting allows you to install non-Market apps, such as the Ranger app. On the device, go Home Screen -> Menu Key -> Settings -> Applications, then check the "Unknown Sources" box.
- Enable "Standalone GPS Services" in your Location settings. The "Standalone GPS Services" setting turns on the GPS chipset in your Android device and allows the Ranger app to determine your location. On the device, go Home Screen -> Menu Key -> Settings -> Location, then check the "Standalone GPS Services" box. Now go back to the home screen and make sure the GPS icon appears on the status bar at the top of the screen. The GPS icon looks like a small crosshair target with two waves on the right side.
- Uninstall the previous version of the Ranger mobile app. On the device, go Home Screen -> Menu Key -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. In the "Downloaded" list, select the Ranger app. That will take you to the Application Info screen. Choose the Uninstall button to remove the Ranger app from your device.
Follow these steps on your Android device for over-the-air (OTA) installation:
After installation is complete, you can restart the application by selecting Ranger (or Ranger TEST) from the installed applications list.
- Open the web browser.
- Navigate to the web page you're reading right now (http://www1.rangersst.com/mobile/android/).
- Tap one of the links in the Downloads section (below). A popup will briefly appear that indicates "Starting download..."
- Press the "Home" button to return to the Home screen of the device.
- Wait for a "Download Complete" notification icon to appear on the status bar at the top of the screen. The icon looks like a down arrow with a line underneath.
- Swipe down from the status bar to the bottom of the Home screen to show the list of notifications.
- Tap the notification stating "TOW2.apk download complete" (or something similar).
- A security popup appears that asks "Do you want to install this application?" Choose "Install". A progress bar appears while installation is pending.
- When installation is complete, choose "Open" to launch the application.
Notes and Tips
- Familiar Screen Flow. As soon as you launch the Android app, you'll notice the screen flow is identical to our Java and Windows apps. So everything you're familiar with - Login/Logout, Calls, Status Updates, Messages - applies to Android as well.
- Use Menu and Back keys for Screen Navigation. Android devices have hardware keys for Menu and Back just below the bottom edge of the screen. Press Menu to bring up on-screen options for screen navigation, such as "Next" or "Save". Press Back to return to the previous screen.
- Switch between Portrait and Landscape Orientation. The Ranger app will automatically switch between portrait (tall) and landscape (wide) modes when you rotate the device. Note that the keyboard is larger in landscape mode, so you'll probably find landscape mode easier to use.
- Fast Field Navigation. Some Android devices include up/down/left/right navigation buttons on the virtual keyboard. On Ranger screens with multiple text entry fields, such as the Lot Screen or Address Screen in Dropped, use the up/down navigation buttons to quickly move between fields. You'll find this faster than trying to manually scroll the screen.
- Audible and Vibrate Notifications. The Ranger app conforms to your Sound Profile (Normal, Vibrate, or Silent) in the system settings. You can change the audible alert volume from within the Ranger app by pressing up or down on the volume hardware buttons (usually on the right edge of the device). You'll see a small window appear over top of the Ranger app as you change the volume.
- Launch from Status Bar. You can launch the Android app via the status bar. Just swipe down from the top of the screen to display the notifications. "RangerSST Helper" will be listed in the "Ongoing" section. Tap "RangerSST Helper" and the Ranger application starts.
- Reset to "Fresh Install." At any time, you can reset the mobile app to a "fresh install." On the device, go go Home Screen -> Menu Key -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications. In the "Downloaded" list, select the Ranger app. That will take you to the Application Info screen. Choose "Clear Data" to wipe the Ranger databases and start fresh.
Date: March 11, 2019
Notes: Add Police and Transport fields to Arrived and Hooked statuses. REQUIRES ANDROID 5.0 OR HIGHER.
Other downloads and special test builds are also available.